Saturday, April 25, 2009

Feed

The book, "Feed", that I am currently reading in my English class, delivers some interesting ideas of what the world may be like if technology ruled our lives. Not exactly, because in the book, the people who created the "Feed" are in control of the people, but if it weren't for the Feed, they would have no power. There are a few things that I noticed at the beginning of the book, particularly the language used. There are words used, such as "unit" or "null" that are words that mean the same as "man" and "bored" respectively. I believe that the author of the book, M. T. Anderson, chose these words to help reinforce the type of world that it is in the story. The words seem futuristic in a sense, maybe just because I have never heard these words used in the context that they are in (I am so null, unit). There are other words that when I heard them, I thought that the people were lazy for using such words. For example, people call a girl friend "girlf" which is a shortened form, I guess. Why not say girlfriend? Is it because it is one more syllable? I just don't understand...
The final thing that I want to talk about is the names of the characters. Some of the names reminded me of planets or moons (outer space names), such as Marty (Mars), Calista (Callisto- one of Jupiter's moons), and Titus (Titan- one of Saturn's moons). I think that the author used these names to also reinforce the futuristic setting of the story, and the advancements of people.

Shazam! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment