Saturday, May 2, 2009

Feed Visual Essay:
Conformity vs. Individuality: Going along with a group, or being yourself...


Everybody is the same.
The images tell a story of how uniqueness, and individuality are important to people.
The message is to be yourself, regardless of what is considered cool or hip. The pictures I selected were meant to show how being an individual is better than being like everybody else. I was thinking about the feed when I chose this topic. Being an individual (not having the feed) is better than being like everybody else (people with the feed). Sure, you won't be like everybody else, and you won't be considered "cool", but you will be yourself instead of a mindless zombie who only thinks about shopping and buying stuff. These are meant to influence people to develop the power to become themselves, the way they want to do it.
The feed takes away a person's uniqueness, which is a very valuable thing. If a person, in the story, had a "feed", they have the ability to be part of a group, because of the large majority of people who had one (70%).
This is all about fitting in.
Near the end of the story, we learn that Violet's father got a feed for Violet when she was 7 so she would be able to fit in with others when she grew up. Violet's father was rejected a job, based solely on the fact that he didn't have a feed. He did not want his daughter to go through that too.
(I wasn't thinking of this when I began the Visual Essay, but symbolically, being like everyone else (having a feed) will destroy you; destroy your uniqueness, for in actuality, feeds are bad for people, as they are not organic and your body rejects it -lesions-. In Violet's case, it actually destroyed her.)
I, personally, have done things/changed things about myself in order to fit in. I have developed a value of trying my best to be Lathe, by doing the things that I think are fun, and not those of people around me.
My parents have influenced me to be this way, because they always told me to be myself.
I feel that the value of individuality is as important as the air we breathe. If you are not you, then you have lost yourself. Being yourself is the way to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment