Sunday, May 17, 2009

Feed Final (Reflection Essay) cont.

If I were to have a feed, it would probably contain information related to the things that I am interested in, such as the latest video games and pop music, along with many other things. It would contain these things because I have shown interest in them before by purchasing such items. This tells me that American culture is defined by consumerism. People who live the good life in America buy things that they are interested in. They do this mainly because of advertisements.
Media affects me in several ways. With all of the advertisements out there on television and other places, it is hard not to be persuaded to buy something. I guess that I rely on technology, because most of the every day activities that I do require some sort of electricity. However, one thing that does not affect me that much is popular culture. I do NOT own an iPod or MP3 player, nor do I listen to a lot of popular music. Crazy, but true. In ways, we as people mold media because we choose what to buy, but on the other hand, media can persuade people to buy things too.
There is a moral to the story "Feed". It is that technology can and/or will eventually destroy us. M.T. Anderson conveys this moral through how the advancements of technology have destroyed the world and have begun destroying people (lesions). A clear example is Violet. It is the feed that caused her to lose control of her body. If it weren't for the feed, she would NOT be in that situation.
In the story, people are nothing without the feed, at least compared to those who do have it. The feed gives people many things and allows them to basically have the Internet in their heads. Without the feed, a person would not be able to do "common" things with people who have the feed, such as m-chatting. It would put them out of the loop. If I were not to have my feed, (hypothetically speaking of course) I would not be able to access the information on the latest products I like.

My project displays many of the things that I currently like. If it weren't for advertisements, I probably would not like these sort of things, possibly because I would not know about them. Like I said before, it is media that influenced people to do/buy certain things because of their claims that the thing is "hot" or "hip". My "feed" may only contain these things because I was told through advertisements that these items were cool or "all the rage". However, people do like different things, so there is a uniqueness to all of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment